One of my favorite films, Wings of Desire was made into a enjoyable but not quite as great film as City of Angels. In the remake, Nicolas Cage as the angel asks a recently deceased child what his favorite part of life was.
Since tomorrow is officially the 2 year anniversary of my first cello lesson, I thought I’d reflect on what I like most about the sounds of the cello:
1. Double stops on G and C. Pieces that end with several double stops in succession.
2. Ending a piece on a satisfying low C
3. Playing something I used to find difficult, or impossible – particularly the end of the first major phrase in Kol Nidre.
4. Harmonics on the A string.
5. Learning to open up my upper body and let more sound be free.
What about yours? When commenting, please share your experience level with our other readers.