Scherzo (Webster meno mosso section)
- Go to the tip of the bow, as you change the strings and get set on the D string, note where your body is
- Play light and smooth.
- Watch the rhythm
- When making shifts, make sure to arrive slowly. I shouldn’t be “slamming on the breaks” as I arrive at the strings.
- Work out large shifts in horizontal and vertical pieces, but then once I get the arrival smooth, try to make sure your body learns the distance.
- Use the elbow as a counterweight, otherwise I’m using my back to slow the hand
- Always avoid reaching just with the fingers
Bowing – keep the bow from drifting towards bridge on up-bow by using the first finger to tilt the bow slightly upward. Just don’t exaggerate it.
It was a good lesson, since I had been working hard. No more lessons until July 20. I might see if a certain someone can provide a Skype lesson for the right price. Dan said he’d provide some commentary if I send him a video.
Lots of Homework!
Kummer #56,#58,#59 and I think #55.
Beethoven Minuet from Suzuki book 3. We marked up the bowing in greater detail.